Wednesday, December 3, 2008

The Best Horror movies of 2008

As the year comes to a close, we start to look back at the things that we enjoyed. For the remainder of the year I'll be going through a list of what I deemed the best of in certain categories. Today's category: HORROR MOVIES.

In case you are not aware, I LOVE horror movies. I look forward to seeing horror movies in theaters more then most 'award winning' movies. And I'm talking about actually horror movies, not these PG-13 sequels to a Japenese remake. I would talk about my favorite horror films now, but I'll save that for later.

The BEST Horror films of 2008

5. Diary of the Dead - Granted I was a little skeptical when I heard Romero was hoping on the 'Cam-movie' band wagon, but its safe to say he pulled it off. The movie is 100% better than the Spanish film [REC], or it's American remake Quarantine, though they all share a common idea: People are running from zombies and they have a camera. Now Diary has the advantage in this situation because Romero knows how to handle a zombie outbreak, he also knows how to make people believable in these situations. Diary of the Dead offers a unique and commonly overlooked idea at how the modern college student would react to a zombie outbreak, and its great.
Scare Factor: 5/10



4. Mirrors - Alexandre Aja in my opinion is one of the top two modern horror directors that should be crowned king (the other being Rob Zombie). And yes 2 of the 3 movies Aja has done have been remakes (Mirrors and The Hills Have Eyes (2006), but they were REALLY REALLY good remakes. Mirrors, while still a remake, brings Aja's unique horror perspective to the table instead of simply Copy+Pasting everything from the remake but with a different cast (and a BRILLIANT cast in this case, I'm talking of course mostly about Kiefer Sutherland).
Scare Factor: 7/10



3. The Ruins - I really enjoyed this movie, I didn't know what to expect when I saw the previews because I didn't recognize ANYONE in the cast. But when the movie was going on I realized I KNOW EVERYONE IN THIS CAST! By presenting this movie with a cast of people that everyone knows and loves it makes their horrific experiances even more terrifying. The Ruins follows a group of kids on vacation in Mexico who decide to go and visit...some ruins. The story truely takes off after they reach the ruins because it is inhabited by canibalistic plants and an unruley bunch of locals that are preventing the kids from leaving the ruins. The Ruins is an absolutely terrifying movie and everyone should see it.
Scare Factor: 8/10



2. Teeth - Every man and woman on the planet should see this film. Teeth brings a new type of terror to the screen, and it is GURANTEED to make any man flinch and any woman shutter. The focus of the story is on Dawn, a teenage girl that teaches absintence to kids at the local schools. But Dawn has a terrifying secret. She has teeth....inside her uh....reproductive organs. Yea. Before you ask yes it shows things like severed male reproductive parts, and yes they're severed because Dawn's reproductive parts.....bit them off.
Scare Factor: 10/10



1. The Strangers - In my opinion there are few things scarier than 1. Home invasion, or 2. Someone moving your things around and you don't know who it is. The Strangers has perfect timing in all of its scares and doesn't hold back on brutality. This is why I crown The Strangers, the scariest movie of 2008.



Tune in to the next Best of 2008 when I go over the top 5 comedies of the year.

5 comments:

Lisa said...

Why did I not Know about this?

Adrian Garcia said...

I'm actually surprised at seeing any of these movies on here, and at the same time, not so surprised.

I'm a big scary movie person as well. But, I rate how scary movies are based upon how humorous the movie is. Meaning, if a chesty, blonde runs up the stairs after passing an open door while being chased by a masked criminal, it's a good scary movie.

So that's why The Strangers is on here. :)

BTW, I hope to see the Scream trilogy on your best horror movies of all time!

Spencer Perry said...

Yea we don't look at horror movies the same way at all.

So don't get your hopes up about the scream movies.

Sara Elizabeth said...

I think the only "scary" movie I saw this year was The Happening.

And we all know that was brilliant.

The trees were just so scary!

Spencer Perry said...

Yea I liked The Happening, your Shyamalan sarcasm isn't welcome on this blog.