Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Top 15 movie countdown....countdown.

Next Friday I'll unveil my Top 15 films of 2008. In order to get you comfortable with the way I look at the movies and how I pick my favorites I've decided to pick a year and go over my Top 15 of that year, a countdown to my countdown if you will. I'll be starting with the year 2000, and progress until next friday with my top of 2008.

My Top 15 of 2000

15. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon - Now I don't consider myself much of a kung-fu movie person, yes I like them but not as hardcore as some people. CTHD is a very well paced film and is very fun to watch.

14. Pitch Black - Surprisingly Vin Diesel has made some pretty good flicks. This being one of them. Pitch Black is one of the better sci-fi movies of recent years.

13. Hollow Man - Say whatever you want about the movie and Kevin Bacon. But I really dig it, and think it has good effects and a great message about too much power.

12. Keeping the Faith - Yes a comedy made the list, its not hard for comedies to do that. Even though I tend to not like Ben Stiller he does a good job in the film, along side everyone's favorite Eddy Norton.

11. Almost Famous - I can rant and rave all day about how good this is, or you can go see it for yourself and believe me.

10. X-men - Granted only 2 sentences from the media god that is Joss Whedon's rewrite made it into the Xmen film. It's still a very good movie, and does its best to work with the X-men Mythology.

9. Cast Away - Tom Hanks and Robert Zemeckis can never do wrong.

8. O, Brother Where art Thou? - The Coens and George Clooney can also never do wrong.

7. Chicken Run - I love Wallace and Gromit and this movie which is essentially the life of chickens is very fun and entertaining for all ages.

6. Requiem for A Dream - Aronofsky is a brilliant man and also, can do no wrong.

5. Cecil B. Demented - Jon Waters is a great writer/director, and this film which bashes the hollywood system is fantastic and can be re-watched overandover.

4. Memento - Chris Nolan has made quite the masterful film too, and its only his 2nd. Nolan is very good at keeping your attention and leaving you wanting more.

3. Snatch - Guy Ritchie is the next Scorscese and with an All-Star cast like Snatch has you can't help but wonder who will be in his movies in 10 years.

2. American Psycho - This is the movie that proved Christian Bale is one of the better actors currently working. Scary, thought provoking, and wonderfull brilliant.

1. Unbreakable - Call M. Night Shyamalan a one hit wonder if you want. Just shows that you don't know what you're talking about Since Unbreakable is the best film of 2000 and is the pinnacle of Super Hero movies.

1 comment:

Adrian Garcia said...

I love most of these movies. There are a couple near the top that I've never seen, but for the most part I agree with this list.

I thought Almost Famous should've been a bit higher, and I think American Psycho should've been #1. Unbreakable was good, but I thought it was boring.

Looking forward to the rest of the list!