Thursday, January 15, 2009

Top 15 movies of 2007

2007 easily has one of the most violent lists. Most if not all of the movies were rated R for their violence, with a few exceptions.

15. Hot Fuzz - The creators of Shaun of the Dead are back, and they've brought their creative film genius to the Cop movie films. I love this movie because of it's rewatchability (just like Shaun) and because there are very few jokes in the movie that don't make you laugh out loud, as opposed to a silent chuckle.

14. Stardust - It's a shame almost no one saw this movie, I know that because I was there opening night and I was one of 8 people in the theater. The movie has its flaws yes, but Robert De Niro and Michelle Pfeiffer bring there acting expertise to the table and don't disappoint.

13. Beowulf - This is the first movie on the list that I will take crap for liking. Most people didn't enjoy it because its not the Beowulf they read in high school, which is an idiotic reason to dislike the movie because: Beowulf originated as an oral story, being told from generation to generation, changes being made a long the way as the story teller saw fit. This time Neil Gaiman and Roger Avary decided to make certain changes. Great acting on part of the entire cast in this fantastic movie.

12. Black Snake Moan - Sam Jackson and Christina Ricci starring in a movie written and directed by Craig Brewer is only a recipe for greatness.

11. 3:10 to Yuma - The rebirth of the western with this movie, and the intense acting ability on part of Crowe and Bail make it a desirable watch for fans.

10. Sweeney Todd - Depp and Burton make another movie together, and yea its really that good. Plus shame on you for not knowing it was musical when you bought your ticket.

9. Zodiac - This is the second movie I will take your crap for liking. Its your own fault for thinking that this was going to be a horror movie before you went to see it. David Fincher is incapable of making a bad movie and this is no exception. Robert Downey Jr and Jake Gyllenhaal are fantastic in this.

8. Hairspray - I love this movie. The charisma, the music, the actors, it all works wonderfully. The ensemble casting for this movie make it an irresistable choice to watch.

7. The Orphanage - This spanish horror film is one of the best ghost movies I've ever seen. I'm fully aware that most people haven't seen this and thats a shame because yes it really is that good.

6. The Mist - This is the third movie that I'll take crap for liking, but first: I love the way this movie was made. Yes it's in the same set for 90% of the movie but it doesn't get old. The acting is done great, even the little kid (which is an accomplishment because normally I HATE the children in movies). Now personally this is the best ending for a movie that I've EVER seen, and probably ever will see.

5. Juno - Yes the dailogue is a little quirky, and yes a little unrealistic, but the movie is still so cute and enjoyable you can't help but smile a little. Plus its hard to not stare at Ellen Page when she's on screen, because let's face it she's a hot preg-o.

4. Halloween - The fourth movie I'll take crap for liking so much. Yes it's different than the original but isn't that the point of the remake? If I wanted to watch the original one I'd do that. I think Zombie's take on Halloween is the way to have gone with the series, and I still consider Rob to be one of the best modern horror directors (if not the best).

3. Grindhouse - It hurts me to put this so low, because I love this movie[s] so much. I'll also take crap for liking this because yes I did like Death Proof, sure you may think that it sucks but I'm entitled to my opinion just as much as you are. Grindhouse has it's advantages because it really creates a unique and genuinely fun movie going experiance. I'll be very excited when the entire film is released as one on DVD.

2. There Will Be Blood - This is truely an epic movie. Daniel Day-Lewis is a brilliant actor and delivers one of the best performances I've ever had the pleasure of seeing in the theater. Though the movie is very long, I can still watch it over and over again because of how well the scenery is created and the community is portrayed.

1. No Country for Old Men - As I've said before, you can't go wrong with Joel and Ethan Coen. The pair have delivered a perfect movie once again and with the help of their jaw-dropping cast the best movie of the year.

Stay tuned for tomorrow where I unveil my Top 15 movies of 2008, plus my most anticipated movies of 2009!!!

No comments: