Thursday, January 8, 2009

Top 15 Movies of 2002

2002 brought some of my favorite films of all-time. It's a pretty epic list if you ask me, but I am little biased.

15. The Mothman Prophecies - An X-phile and skeptic such as myself can't help but like this movie. An interesting concept delivers with its fantastic story and creepy visual style.

14. Lilo & Stitch - This is one of the last actual animated films to be released, and I guess you can say they went out with a bang. Lilo and Stitch is a fantastic animated movie with humor for everyone, even though its a more or less cliche' story.

13. Resident Evil - Being a fan of zombies, video games, zombie video games, but not that big of a fan of Paul W. Anderson. I was skeptic about the film. I thoroughly enjoyed this movie though and think that the sequels only enhance the series(as sequels should!), even though it did differ from the source material a lot.

12. 25th Hour - Being a Spike Lee and Edward Norton fanboy I couldn't help but like this movie. Plus its hard to make a bad movie with Rosario Dawson and Phillip Seymour Hoffman.

11. Bowling for Columbine - I'm also a Michael Moore Fanboy, and consider this better than his debut Roger and Me.

10. The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers - Yea all of you Lord of the Rings fanboys are probably screaming at your monitor "WHAT DOES IT TAKE TO GET ONE OF THE TRILOGY IN THE TOP 5 OF HIS LISTS!". Well in all honesty they're very fantastic movies, but I just like these next 9 movies more.

9. Minority Report - Yes I hate Steven Spielberg and most of Tom Cruise's, but I do have the nerve to admit that this was a very good movie.

8. Road to Perdition - Tom Hanks playing a gangster? Brilliantttt.

7. Blade 2 - One of the few sequels in the entire world that is probably better than the original. With someone at the helm like Guillermo Del Toro, you can't go wrong.

6. Insomnia - Robin Williams in a serious role (always great), Al Pacino, and directed by Chris Nolan. Whoever came up with this combo deserves a medal.

5. Infernal Affairs - The HongKong basis for The Departed is possibley even better than its American remake (as the case usually goes).

4. Spiderman - Sam Raimi is one of my favorite directors, though I do think the series could have been just as good (if not better) with James Cameron at the helm (Damn you court system!). Raimi still delivered as good of a Spiderman film to start with as you can.

3. Death to Smoochy - This is one of my top 3 favorite comedies ever. Fantastic film with great neo-noir elements and clever characters.

2. Punch-Drunk Love - I'm a P.T. Anderson fanboy as well, and don't usually go for Adam Sandler (the only film of his I enjoy is Billy Madison, and Happy Gilmoure at times). So seeing Sandler in a serious film written and directed by PTA is just what he needed IMO.

1. 28 Days Later - Danny Boyle, Alex Garland, and Cillian Murphy. All great at what they do, they in turn delivered a great horror film and an all around brilliant movie.

1 comment:

Adrian Garcia said...

I love Resident Evil, LOTR II, Minority Report, Blade 2, Insomnia, Spiderman, 28 Days Later!

I can't say that I've seen Internal Affairs, but The Departed is one of my favorite Leo flicks!