Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Top 15 movies of 2001

2001 was a good year for sci-fi/fantasy films, as well as comedies and thought provoking dramas. All of which are present on the countdown.

15. Bubble Boy - Granted this is no Oscar winner, but its still a very fun movie to watch. Bubble Boy is one of my favorite comedies because it hits close to home (no I never lived in a bubble). Granted all the things that happen to him are very unrealistic but that doesn't take away from my enjoyment of the movie.

14. Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back - Another one that will never win any mainstream awards, but a favorite nonetheless. Granted you have to see four other movies to fully understand all the jokes in this but man is it worth it.

13. Spirited Away - I usually don't for the anime related things but I have to admit this is one you can't afford to skip. Spirited Away is a fantastic.

12. The Man Who Wasn't There -You can't go wrong with Billy Bob Thornton and the Coen Brothers. (Or Scarlett Johanssonn and James Gandolfini)

11. The Royal Tenenbaums - It is also hard to go wrong with Wes Anderson films.

10. Legally Blonde - Yea I like Legally Blonde Its actually a pretty good comedy with a good message. Which is something that most Comedies fail in.

9.Monster's Inc. - Though not one of my favorite Pixar movies, its still very good. Plus I love John Goodman/Steve Buscemi.

8.Harry Potter and the Sorceror's Stone - Yes the films begin to feel a little tired after the second one, but this first film is actually very good at introducing the world of Harry Potter and you have to admit that Chris Columbus knows how to make a movie.

7.Ocean's Eleven - You CANT go wrong with a clever heist film, especially one with a cast like this!

6.The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring - Cleverly Orchestrated begginning to the series and an all around great movie. Wether its fantasy or horror Peter Jackson can do no wrong.

5.Hannibal - My personal favorite of Thomas' Harris books, my least favorite of the films (which should tell you a lot about how much I like the others since this one is so high up on the list). Ridley Scott might lose his touch after This movie, but boy is it a good one.

4. Blow - Gangster movies about drug running are a favorite of mine, now take that and put Johnny Depp in the title role and its all good.

3. Swordfish - Was 2001 the year for the heist movie or what? Plus with another all star cast you can't go wrong. Plus with a semi-twisty ending with political satire abound whats not to love?

2. A Beautiful Mind - Russel Crowe and Ron Howard are an unstoppable force with this masterpiece of a movie.

1. Donnie Darko - Yea I'm a Darko Fan and I know this movie backwards and forwards. Donnie Darko isn't just the best movie of 2001 its my second favorite movie of all time. (And yea I'm one of those fans that can explain the movie, so Darko Questions should come to me if you have any).

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Blow made me hate Chihuahua face for all time.