Friday, January 9, 2009

Top 15 Movies of 2003

2003 was a great year for horror and action films, both of which are very well represented on the list.

15. The Matrix Reloaded - Some people didn't like the sequels, they can deal with it because I did and felt that it was a very good film in and of itself.

14. Big Fish - I'm a big fan of ensemble movies like this, where the lead character does through a series of trials in their life and meets many interesting people. (You could have guessed that since I had 25th Hour, Bubble Boy, and O, Brother where are Thou? on my previous lists) Plus its tough to go wrong with Tim Burton at the helm.

13. Finding Nemo - Again not my favorite Pixar movie, but you'd have to be blind to not notice how good the movie actually is.

12. Lost in Translation - You can't go wrong with Bill Murray, Scarlett Johansson and Sofia Coppola at the helm.

11. Cabin Fever - Granted every other word in this movie is explicit and probably only four letter long, but it still shines out as great among the horrid sea of PG-13 horror films and Japanese remakes.

10. The Matrix Revolutions - In my opinion, a great way to end the series. Much better than Reloaded and a fantastic movie to just watch.

9. House of 1000 Corpses - Proof that Rob Zombie is a mastermind of the ideals of the horror film. I don't care if you didn't like it, that just means you didn't get it.

8. Dreamcatcher - A Stephen King movie starring: Morgan Freeman, Thomas Jane, Jason Lee, Timothy Olyphant, and Donnie Whalberg. Good stuff here.

7. Once Upon a Time in Mexico - Robert Rodriguez knows how to make a good action flick and not chock it full of hollywood action movie norms. Great film.

6. The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King - Need I say anything about this movie?

5. Bad Santa - If you read my Christmas blogs you know how much I love this movie, and by having its presence so high on this list you can guess even more how much I like it.

4. High Tension - Alex Aja is a horror cinema GOD, and he proved it with this debut film that is perfect in almost every way.

3. Pirates of the Carribean: Curse of the Black Pearl - Good action, clever story for what they have to work with. Though not my favorite of the series.

2. Kill Bill Vol. 1 - Though I prefer Volume 2, Volume 1 is still exceptional filmmaking on Captain Tarantino's part, and brilliantly coreographed fight sequences.

1. Oldboy - This movie, while not only my favorite of the year, is one of my favorite movies of all time. Oldboy is the only film I can think of that is better than its source material (a japanese manga that sucks hardcore). Brilliantly stylized with a sinister plot, Oldboy is the best movie of 2003.

No comments: